There are many different cosmetic procedures that are designed to counteract the effects of the aging process – particularly when it comes to the face, which tends to betray signs of advancing age more quickly than anywhere else on the body. One of the newest and arguably most successful treatments for temporarily addressing cosmetic issues such as fine lines, wrinkles and loose skin is microneedling.
Microneedling is an innovative technique that creates dozens of tiny, controlled injuries to the outer layers of the skin using a handheld device. The purpose of this is to stimulate the body’s natural wound healing process. As the skin heals, the old skin is replaced with stronger, tighter and firmer new skin that is also much more youthful. As well as addressing signs of aging, microneedling can be used to minimize the appearance of:
- Large pores
There are many different microneedling devices, but the technique is often considered most effective when it is performed using SkinPen.
What is SkinPen?
SkinPen is the only FDA-approved microneedling device in the United States. This small, handheld device has stainless steel, medical-grade needles that work vertically to deliver consistent micro-injuries into the skin at the depths pre-set by your technician. All needles are sterile and disposable and are easy to replace with each new patient.
Benefits of SkinPen
Here are some the main benefits associated with microneedling performed using SkinPen:
- The procedure is minimally-invasive, meaning that there is little to no need for anesthetic.
- Since the needles of SkinPen can be adjusted to different depths, it’s possible to tailor your treatment to your specific skin needs.
- The treatment is versatile. While it’s most often performed on the face, it can also be safely used on the neck, chest and even the backs of your hands.
- In most instances, microneedling can be performed both quickly and safely, with appointments usually taking less than an hour, including preparation time.
- SkinPen is safe to be used on all skin types.
- It is completely natural, with no chemicals or foreign solutions being injected into the body.
- The treatment is less intense than chemical peels or lasers, meaning it is generally gentler on the skin.
- Microneedling using SkinPen can improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Patients can enjoy reduced scarring, and in particular, a reduction in the appearance of acne scarring.
- Microneedling with SkinPen can be used to eliminate brown spots and other pigment issues.
- The procedure encourages the growth of fresh collagen which ensures that new skin that forms that is smoother, tighter and looks more youthful.
- There’s minimal downtime, with most patients able to resume the majority of their usual activities within an hour or two of their procedure.
Experts agree that most skin conditions can be successfully treated using microneedling with SkinPen. If you would like to find out if you are a candidate for this treatment, or if you have questions about what is involved, please get in touch with our team